1. Why is my bill so high?
- Leaks are often the culprit, and toilet leaks are
the most common type. A single "running" toilet can
quietly waste over 1,000 gallons of water in a single day. Fortunately,
repairing toilet leaks is usually easy and inexpensive. Checking
for leaks elsewhere in your plumbing
system might reveal other sources of water loss.
- In many cases, high bills are a result of increased
water use. Changes in outdoor water use, such as watering a new
lawn or using a new sprinkler system, are usually responsible
for large increases. Reading your water meter before and after
watering can help you identify how much you are using.
Our tips can help you use water wisely and reduce future bills.
- Although we read our meters with a high degree
of accuracy, sometimes we make mistakes. If you suspect that
we have misread the meter, please call our Customer Service
department at (703) 698-5800. We will gladly check the reading
and make any necessary billing corrections.
2. What are the charges on my first bill?
Initial bills include a one-time Account Charge
of $37.00. This charge only appears on the first bill.
3. Is there any relief from high bills caused by
As a courtesy, we offer a one-time adjustment for
unusually high water charges caused by leaks.
To be eligible for adjustment, the Customer must:
(1) promptly and properly repair the leak when detected;
(2) provide written proof of repairs to Fairfax Water in the form
of copies of receipts or an invoice; and
(3) not have received a Courtesy Leak Adjustment from Fairfax Water during the preceding five years.
Please use this form to submit the required information.
You may mail the completed form to:
8570 Executive Park Avenue
Fairfax, VA 22031
You may fax it to: (703) 289-6133
Or you may email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You should receive a response to your request within
two weeks. Most leak adjustments are calculated by crediting charges
for 2/3 of the estimated water loss. Adjustments for a leaking water
service lateral (the line running from the meter to the house) are
calculated to credit 100% of the estimated water loss.
4. How often do you bill?
Residential customers are billed
every three months.
5. Can I view my bill online?
Yes! Register on our Customer Portal at www.FWCustomer.org to view and pay your bills,
turn off paper, see bill and usage history.
6. What is your payment address?
PO Box 71076
Charlotte, NC 28272-1076